Let There Be Light!

One of the gifts I got this past Christmas was the Black Diamond Orbit lantern. It's very small and stows away easily. It weighs in at just 4.5 oz with batteries. I found that it fits perfectly in my Snow Peak double-wall titanium cup.

The biggest driving factor for wanting it was being able to have light around the campsite beyond what the headlamp provides. Typically I carry emergency candles since they're usually long burning. Unfortunately they don't work that well in windy conditions and really don't put out a lot of light.

Enter the Orbit. I was very impressed with its light output on high power (good for about 10 hrs per the mfgr). Taking a walk late at night the Orbit was more than sufficient for lighting the trail for two of us. Even on low power (supposedly good for 24 hrs) it provided plenty of light. I used it mostly around the picnic table on the last hike to give us all light instead of needing all of our individual headlamps.

I'm very happy with it and it'll be a regular addition to the pack. It also worked very well in the hammock for letting me get situated and even read before bed.

Thanks to my hiking partner Eric Rousseau for sharing his pics with me.

Orbit Art

Orbit Lighting

This entry was posted in ,,,. Bookmark the permalink.