Shelter On The Way

Well, it's been quiet since the chainsaw stuff with the holidays and all. I did get some good hiking stuff for Christmas like Wet Tender, a whistle, Les Stroud's survival book, and "Into The Wild". I've also picked up a couple of knives. I got the Gerber LMF ASEK II and a SOG Flash II. They're both awesome knives.

I'm gearing of my the first hike of '09. I'll be section hiking the AT from Woody Gap to Hogpen Gap. According to the AT data I have it'll be right at 17 miles over the course of three days.

Since it'll probably still be mighty cold up there on the mountain I ordered the Hennessy Super Shelter. I still want to make a DIY underquilt but I don't think I'll have the time with ordering material, cutting everything out, and finding the time to actually sew it. So for this trip I opted for a pre-manufactured solution. One benefit to the SS is that they have a special going where I'll get a free Scout hammock with snakeskins. That's a $80 value. Worst case I'll sell it and use the funds to offset the price of the SS.

I'll write more about it when it arrives. Should be here in 6-8 business days.

. Bookmark the permalink.